2. Classifying quadrilaterals
• A quadrilateral is a polygon with 4 sides. Here is a more complete list than the one on the previous screen.
- A square is a quadrilateral with 4 equal sides and 4 equal angles, each measuring 90 degrees.
- A rectangle is a quadrilateral with 4 equal angles, each measuring 90 degrees.
- A rhombus is a quadrilateral with 4 equal sides.
- A parallelogram is a quadrilateral in which both pairs of opposite sides are parallel.
- A trapezoid is a quadrilateral with two opposite sides parallel, and the other two sides not parallel.
• Please note the following special situations:
- A square is a rectangle.
- A square is a rhombus.
- A rectangle is not a trapezoid.
In the figure, click and drag each quadrilateral to the appropriate box on the left. Make sure that all vertices of the quadrilateral are inside the box. You may need to rotate the quadrilateral to do this.
When you are done, click 'Check my work.' Then click 'New quiz' to get more practice.